Though the Class originated in 1938 and grew quickly, it was not until 1949 that a championship was
held, due mainly to the intervention of the war years. The venue was Upnor, and the handsome
Medway Bowl presented then is still a coveted trophy.
In 1952 a Northern Division championship was added, in part because of the then difficulty in
transporting boats. Held at Beaumaris that year, the winner was presented with the ‘Cock o’the
The fleets subsequently came together and in 1965, a new cup, the Cork Harbour Trophy went to the
overall winner and the ‘Cock’ and the Medway Bowl were retained for winners of the first and
second halves of the championship week.
Over the years, the championship, now known variously as ‘British & Irish’ or the ‘Cock’, has been
held in many venues, but more recently there has been a four year cycle consisting of Ireland (Cork
Harbour), Scotland (Findhorn), Isle of Man (Port StMary) and England (St Mawes, Portland, Hayling).